Sunday, March 27, 2016

Day 57: Serenata Trail


Day# 57: Serenata Trail
Serenata Trail
Moorpark, CA
Friday, August 21st 2015
Time:  1 hour, 11 minutes
Pace: 31:36/mile
Distance: 2.25 miles
Elevation Gain: 222 Feet
Dogs Ok?: Yes

Directions:
From the 23 Freeway in Moorpark:
Exit Tierra Rejada Rd and head West 0.7 miles to Miller Parkway
Turn Right onto Miller Parkway and continue 0.6 miles to Miller Park, on right
Park in the parking lot for the park and walk northeast across the fields to the trailhead at the corner of the fields.




Today I needed a short hike and I had been eyeing a geocache in the area that took you through a tunnel under the freeway and it sounded like a fun little adventure. So I headed out to Moorpark and located the trail starting in Miller Park. After walking across the little park I headed downhill on the trail where I headed east toward the freeway. After picking my way through the network of trails and jumps for BMX bikes down here, I found the tunnel.




I made sure to bring a flashlight as I knew it would be dark in here and it was. It is always fun to find these tunnels that lead to areas that you normally would have no access to. All the land surrounding the area on the other side is private property, so this is literally the only way to access this area. 

After getting to the other side, I searched around and found the geocache I was searching for. I wandered a bit and checked out the area, but I didn't go too far as to not accidentally wander onto private property.

The other side of the freeway

After heading back through the tunnel I made my way back to the trailhead and then continued south along the fields to the other part of the trail that heads up along the hills above the park.  This is mostly a nice singletrack trail with some nice views of Moorpark and was an enjoyable hike.  I made a loop up here and then headed back down to the car. Easy hike with some extra fun factor of a tunnel on it made this a great day.

Prickly Pear

Overlooking Miller Park

Looking south at the farm fields of Moorpark

Heading along the ridge

Return down the switchbacks

No comments:

Post a Comment