Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Day 46: Phantom Trail

Views over Calabasas
Day# 46: Phantom Trail
Phantom Trail
Malibu Creek State Park - Calabasas, CA
Monday, August 10th 2015
Time: 2 hours, 57 minutes
Pace: 38:23/mile
Distance: 4.62 miles
Elevation Gain: 680 feet
Dogs Allowed?: No

Directions:
Follow my directions for Day 14: Talepop Trail  

I was looking for another medium length hike in the Conejo Valley area and saw this trail that had a string of geocaches along it and decided to check it out. The trail starts on the Liberty Canyon Trail for a short while and then turns right on the Phantom Trail and heads up a great little canyon to the saddle on the ridge above.








After getting to the saddle I turned south and continued along the trail as it follows the ridge all the way to Mulholland Hwy. This is a great trail with nice views and is not too strenuous. As I continued along the ridge I encountered a large tarantula and some baby horned lizards.

Baby horned lizard

Large tarantula in the middle of the trail





After reaching Mulholland, I turned back and returned the way I came.  While coming down one of the steeper sections toward the end of the ridge, I saw a small snake in the trail up ahead. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a young Southern Pacific Rattlesnake!  I have always loved rattlesnakes and this was a delight to see. He headed into a bush just off the trail and I was able to get into a gap in the bush for some nice photos of him. This was the highlight of the trip for sure.

Young Southern Pacific Rattlesnake

Closeup in the bush
After spending some time getting some pictures of the rattlesnake, I continued back down the canyon and headed back to the car. Great trip today with some fantastic animals on the trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment